Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

Frobby

Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/19 at 22:55

It sure would be cool if we got a Thome or Hoffman to come out of nowhere in our system. Here's a great article about Thome:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/4/11/4214024/prospect-retrospective-jim-thome-hall-of-fame

If you look at the profile, it makes sense. He was a cold weather kid who was a late developer (physically). He also had good strike zone judgement even when he didn't have power. They really moved him fast through the system though once he took off. Probably too fast, in retrospect. 

The moral to the story is that the O's need to go to Minnesota, find a kid who walks a lot and has a dad that is 6-8" taller than him and draft that kid in the 18th round. 

1 hour ago, makoman said:

A 20 WAR career is no disaster, even if it wasn't what we wanted. A pretty middle of the road 1-1 pick, and the next five picks totaled 0.2 WAR so it's not like we missed something obvious (then Frank Thomas was picked 7th, blah).

A good part of that WAR came with Milwaukee, after the O's decided they didnt want to resign him. He was really only a solid starter for Baltimore for 2 seasons and parts of two others. I was expecting more. I think everyone did. 

51 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I just hope our guys don't outsmart themselves by convincing themselves they've figured out some angle that that nobody else sees. Keep it simple, Rutschman or Witt, even at the risk of being seen to follow the herd.

I've pivoted away and want them to pick Abrams. I just dont see Rutcshman as exciting enough, even though chances are good he'll become a good hitter.  At catcher, I think the bat gets wasted somewhat.  And I haven't read anything to make me think Witt is a better prospect than Abrams. 

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I've pivoted away and want them to pick Abrams. I just dont see Rutcshman as exciting enough, even though chances are good he'll become a good hitter.  At catcher, I think the bat gets wasted somewhat.  And I haven't read anything to make me think Witt is a better prospect than Abrams. 

Heaven forbids he not be exciting enough.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bubba Starling?

I think he's got too much speed to be Rowell and I don't see him being disinterested.

Bill was never "disinterested" but the possible drugs and homelessness got to him I think. Hard to live in a truck. 

Bubba was a single wing QB.